- Be part of an Australian success story with strong international presence
- Join a great team operating out of Melbourne’s CBD
- Contribute to the expansion of our Retail Management Platform
- Work with some of the world’s best retail brands
About the role
The Retail Directions Head of Software and Development is a senior leadership role managing high performing teams of developers and architects who deliver world class enterprise solutions to our global retail clients.
Candidates will need to demonstrate a wealth of previous experience and success, ideally in the retail marketplace.
Managing a team of developers and IT specialists, the Head of Software and Development will work closely with the Executive Director, the Head of Operations, the Head of Sales & Marketing, and other members of the Senior Leadership Management Team in order to deliver software and IT services that meet our client’s needs, and that is aligned with the strategic direction of RD and the retail industry.
The Head of Software and Development will be accountable for the creation and delivery of the strategic, software and platform architecture vision and leadership and all aspects of the development of the software.
- Key functionalities
- Dev ops
- Release management
- Off-shore management & collaboration
- Solution and technology roadmap
- Review of Software Requirements Specifications and Software Change Requests.
- Create, maintain and review Software Design Artefacts e.g. Process flows, UIs, state flow diagrams.
- Coding, source code review, software build and release management.
- Quality assurance, testing, and end-user documentation.
- Create and maintain Software Development Plans, as well as task and defect management.
- Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver a strategic technological vision and direction.
- Lead and manage the Software Development and IT teams to deliver software, infrastructure and architecture that meets the needs of users and the marketplace
- Ensure delivery consistent with Agile processes across the team.
- Work effectively with other members of the leadership team to ensure delivery against agreed priorities.
- Implement mechanisms to monitor, manage and provide progress on all software development activities.
- Accountable for the on time and to quality delivery of software development projects.
- Responsible for the maintenance and development of internal and external IT support systems.
- Create, implement and maintain a continuous improvement plan for software development and IT infrastructure.
- Working closely with the leadership team with the aim of meeting current and future user needs.
- In conjunction with the leadership team and executive directors, define and maintain the IT technology strategy and infrastructure plan.
- Research the external environment, and where appropriate identify and recommend external partners for the delivery of best in class technologies suitable for RD applications.
- Reviewing and applying best practices to establish architecture and frameworks consistent with and supportive of the solution Strategy.
- Identifying and implementing technology trends that will be able to support the future success of the business.
- Articulating to colleagues, clients and user communities, the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges.
- Collaborating with the appropriate functions and users to evaluate and identify technology platforms for delivering the company’s products.
- Understanding the use cases (and/or user stories) in order to oversee the design of the architecture for the products to be built.
- Ensuring that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organisation.
- To drive consistent standards and approaches throughout the development teams.
- Responsible for his/her own work planning against objectives set in agreement with the Executive Directors and the leadership team.
- Communicate and ensure engagement of RD technology strategies internally and within the RD user community.
- As necessary, participate in and co-ordinate the software development activities of RD in external consortia and expert groups in support of the company’s strategies.
- Ensure effective internal communications both within the software development team and across the organisation.
- Accountable and responsible for effective financial management, planning and monitoring of the Software Development and IT teams.
- Provide monthly information to enable the creation of financial results and forecasts for the above teams. Staffing, Management and Resources.
- Ensure that the skills and experience of Software Development and IT teams are consistent with its technological and business needs for providing quality in present and future services.
- Encourage software and IT staff to represent RD at conferences and meetings to continuously grow the reputation of the company.
- Establish clear organisational structures and succession plans aligned with appropriate responsibilities, accountabilities and personal development for all Software Development and IT staff in line with any anticipated growth.
- Provide support for all staff in keeping with Retail Directions values, policies and procedures
- Comply with all relevant policies and procedures.
- Complete all documents required by the company policies and procedures.
- Undertake additional tasks and responsibilities as may be reasonably expected of the role and as necessary in order to achieve the objectives of the Retail Directions business and software and IT teams and goals.
About Retail Directions
For more than 25 years, Retail Directions has been a trusted core technology partner for some of the world’s best retail brands including Cotton On, The Just Group, Hanes & many more. Our platform includes applications handling Point of Sale, E-commerce, Customer Engagement, Merchandise Management, Supply Chain and Business Intelligence. Our technology stack includes Angular, Xamarin, .Net, WPF, PHP, HTML5, and Delphi.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with a one page Covering Letter, application statement addressing the Key Selection Criteria and your CV (no longer than three pages).